May 05 , 2020
One thing I learned growing up in Oxnard is that horchata can be made so many different ways! I've had horchata that tasted thick like a milkshake and I've had horchata that looked watery and clear - both were SO delicious. There really is no right or wrong way to make horchata so we were excited to try it for ourselves.
A key take away from this experiment is to try it with a group of people, that way they can help with the dishes. This is NOT a quick recipe but tastes AMAZING so it’s worth it!
Ok here’s what you’ll need:
- 3 cups Long Grain Rice
- 2 Mexican Cinnamon Sticks
- 1 can Condensed Milk
- 1 can Evaporated Milk
- 2 Tbs Vanilla extract
- 6 cups of Water
- Sugar (optional)
Here's what you need to do:
- Toast your rice on medium heat in a large skillet for 20 minutes and STIR, STIR, STIR. You'll need to continually stirring otherwise your rice will stick to the pan and burn.
- Let the rice cool then add water and cinnamon sticks and chill in fridge for at least 3 HOURS (this is why friends are a key ingredient here...) or place overnight! The longer it seeps, the better it will
- Blend all ingredients together, including cinnamon sticks, soaked rice, water, milks...everything!
- Pour blended items through a stainer and into a pitcher
- Taste and if it’s to your liking, pour over ice ▶️ if it’s not sweet enough, add a few tablespoons of sugar ▶️ if it’s TOO sweet, add more water
- Put remainder in fridge and chill
Try this recipe and let us know what you think! You can upload and tag us on Instagram so we can see the results.